Turn Your Home Into a Smart Home With SmartThings in 5 Easy Steps.With the release of Samsung SmartThings’ latest line-up of products for the home—including an upgraded Hub, multiple sensors and an improved app—it is now more possible than ever before to turn your home into a smart home.
While the possibilities of an Internet of Things (IoT) platform to control the home seem infinite, some may assume the set-up process to be a difficult one. Fortunately, SmartThings proves intelligent living doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, setting up the system is incredibly easy—so easy, it can be done in five steps.
1. Purchase the SmartThings Hub
- The best way to get started with SmartThings is by purchasing the SmartThings Hub, a small box that connects all your smart devices and enables the IoT platform to operate. Once you purchase the Hub, you’re instantly on your way to smarter living. There are no contracts, set-up costs or monthly fees to use the SmartThings platform.
- The newest version of the SmartThings Hub is now available in stores in the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as online at Samsung.com, the Smart Things Shop and Amazon.com. Additionally, the Smart Home Starter Kit, which includes a Hub and three devices that allow you to receive important notifications on your smartphone, is also available for purchase.
2. Connect the SmartThings Hub to an Internet router
- Set-up is easy, as there is no tricky installation process or hard wiring necessary. All one needs to do is simply connect the Hub to an Internet router with the included Ethernet cable, and a secure connection links it wirelessly to all your smart devices, allowing you to monitor, control and guard your home from anywhere in the world.
3. Add smart devices
- Once your SmartThings Hub is up and running, you can now add as many smart devices as you’d like to customize your smart home based on your personal preferences. In addition to the company’s own line of sensors, there are over 200 devices that are compatible with the SmartThings open platform, from smart bulbs to locks to cameras.
- As your needs change, you can easily modify SmartThings to work in different ways, or add additional devices to create a smart home that automatically reacts to your unique tastes and patterns.
4. Connect with SmartThings app
- Now that all your “things” are connected and communicating with one another, you can use the free SmartThings app to orchestrate them with a tap of a finger, from another room or another city. Via the app, you are also able to receive alerts and notifications so you can keep an eye on your home from just about anywhere.
- The app allows you to configure SmartThings to control all your devices based on your routines (waking up or coming home from work, for example), by room or by specific device. Furthermore, you can customize SmartThings as often as your needs change via the easy-to-use control panel within the app. The app is available for download for Android and iOS.
5. Let your home do the work for you
- And that’s it! Whether preparing the morning coffee, notifying you that the mail has arrived or creating a comfortable environment for a good night’s sleep, SmartThings is now enabled and ready to make your house smarter, safer and more connected. Sit back and watch your smart home come to life.